August 24, 2008

"what reactions have you received to 'virtual anthropology' cf 'virtual ethnography'?"

[14:26] Tom Bukowski: continuing
[14:26] Tom Bukowski: ahh too many good questions
[14:26] Tom Bukowski: North Lamar: can you talk about reactions you have received to "virtual anthropology vs virtual ethnography"
[14:27] Tom Bukowski: what I say in the book is that in anthropology, the norm is to talk about medical anthropology, legal anthro, etc.
[14:27] Tom Bukowski: not medical ethnography, that's more focused on method
[14:27] Forelle Broek smiles at "legal anthro"
[14:27] Tom Bukowski: so I usually say "virtual anthro" not "virtual ethno," but if you are really focused on methods
[14:27] Tom Bukowski: then of course in that context "virtual ethnography" makes sense
[14:27] Azul Draken ponders "illegal Anthro"
[14:27] North Lamar: am i writing my diss [dissertation] proposal right now (due Friday), and your book was very timely for me … when i mention virtual anthropology to my committee they roll their eyes (i'm in information science)
[14:27] Forelle Broek: Heh!
[14:28] Tom Bukowski: North - I work with Paul Dourish at Irvine in Informatics - email me later
[14:28] Tom Bukowski: that's unfortunate
[14:28] North Lamar: but they seem ok with virtual ethnography, just curious as to other reactions you have received about the term

No comments: