August 24, 2008

inexperienced researchers cf. indepth fieldwork

[14:43] Tom Bukowski: Riven Homewood: "When I first encountered researchers in sl, my worry was that they would look at me as a sort of freak - many of them seemed quite new to sl"
[14:43] Tom Bukowski: Just to say something quick about that
[14:43] Tom Bukowski: To do participant observation right, it can't be a weekend
[14:43] Tom Bukowski: it's years of devotion
[14:43] Tom Bukowski: and frankly a virtual world is easier than many environments - I don't have to fly to Indonesia, get a visa, etc. etc.
[14:44] Leeorie Alter: nods emphatically
[14:44] Azul Draken: Vaccinations
[14:44] Tom Bukowski: the good researchers really devote time, and those that don't you can tell
[14:44] Tom Bukowski: That's why journalists like Hamlet or all around fab people like all of you (see Gwyn's blog for an example) are to my mind incredible experts on Second Life
[14:44] Tom Bukowski: who know more than I do, and I learn from them.
[14:45] Tom Bukowski: But most Indonesians know more about Indonesia than I do, obviously - a researcher doesn't have to have total knowledge, but there does need to be a committment.

No comments: