August 24, 2008

"did you have preconceptions about what you would find in SL?"

[14:51] Gi Tammas: You said you were a gamer before you started research in SL - did you have preconceptions about what you would find in SL?
[14:52] Tom Bukowski: I wasn't a hard-core gamer, but I grew up on games from Space Invaders to Q-Bert, had an Intellivision, loved Sim Earth and Sim City, etc.
[14:53] Tom Bukowski: so all it meant was that the learning curve wasn't so big for me
[14:53] Tom Bukowski: I can't program - for scripting all I can do is make a texture rotate the other way
[14:53] Tom Bukowski: but I wasn't afraid to learn
[14:53] Tom Bukowski: that sounds simple
[14:53] Tom Bukowski: but I am not kidding when I say that …
[14:53] Tom Bukowski: there are anthropologsts who tell me with pride that they don't even kow how to use powerpoint
[14:53] Gwenette Writer: yes, but it is a common barrier educators & faculty throw at participation … new medium, new skills, no time
[14:54] Tom Bukowski: yes

No comments: